Georgia State Song


"Georgia on My Mind" is a song written in 1930 by Stuart Gorrell (lyrics) and Hoagy Carmichael (music). It is the official state song of the U.S. state of Georgia.

Gorrell wrote the lyrics for Hoagy's sister, Georgia Carmichael. However, the lyrics of the song are written ambiguously enough as to refer to the state or to a woman named "Georgia." Carmichael's 1965 autobiography, Sometimes I Wonder, records the origin: a friend suggested: "Why don't you write a song called 'Georgia?' Nobody lost much writing about the South."

The song is best known as sung by Ray Charles, who first recorded the song in 1960. It became Georgia's state song in 1979.


Georgia on my Mind- Ray Charles


Lyrics

Georgia, oh, Georgia,
The whole day through
Yes, just an old sweet song
Keeps Georgia on my mind

I say Georgia
Oh, Georgia
And the song of you
Comes as sweet and clear
As moonlight through the pines

Other arms reach out to me
Other eyes smile tenderly
Still in peaceful dreams I see
I know the road is back to you

I said Georgia,
I am calling my Georgia, no peace I find
You see, it's just an old sweet song
Keeps Georgia on my mind

Just an old sweet song,
Keeps Georgia on my mind




Prev         Top         Next