Broadway Musical: Jersey Boys


Jersey Boys performs December 1963 Christian Hoff Jersey Boys is a documentary-style musical based on the lives of one of the most successful '60s rock 'n roll groups, the Four Seasons. Jersey Boys won four 2006 Tony Awards, Best Musical, Best Actor - John Lloyd Young, Best Featured Actor - Christian Hoff (see photo: The cast of Jersey Boys performs "December 1963 Oh What A Night" at Broadway on Broadway, September 10th 2006), and Best Lighting Design - Howell Binkley.
The musical opened on Broadway on November 6, 2005 at the August Wilson Theatre starring John Lloyd Young as Frankie Valli, Christian Hoff as Tommy DeVito, Daniel Reichard as Bob Gaudio, and J. Robert Spencer as Nick Massi. Directed by Des McAnuff, artistic director at La Jolla Playhouse, the musical uses many of the group's hit songs to tell the turbulent story of Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons' rise to fame.

The musical made its West End debut at London's Prince Edward Theatre in February 2008. The creative team were the same that brought the production to Broadway. Principal cast were Ryan Molloy as Frankie Valli, Stephen Ashfield as Bob Gaudio, Glenn Carter as Tommy DeVito and Philip Bulcock as Nick Massi. Charles Spencer from The Daily Telegraph said, "Overpaid, over-sexed and over here, it will, I suspect be some time before London says Bye Bye Baby (Baby Goodbye) to the PHENOMENAL Jersey Boys." Benedict Nightingale from The Times said, “Oh What a Night. There were times when I felt that the performers were making even the Beatles sound somewhat lacking in musical texture.” Quentin Letts from The Daily Mail said, “I must say I thoroughly enjoyed it. This is a big thumper of a show with fantastic songs.”

It was announced on Australia Day, 26 January 2008, that the Australian Production would open at the Princess Theatre, Melbourne, in March 2009.

An original cast recording was made by Rhino Entertainment Jersey Boys: Original Broadway Cast Recording. In February 2008, the album was certified Gold, having sold more than 500,000 copies in the US.

"December, 1963 (Oh, What a Night)" - Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons in 1975





Frankie Valli & The Four Seasons perform "Can't Take My Eyes Off You" - from the Popendipity tv program in 1967


Lyrics: "Can't Take My Eyes Off You"

You're just too good to be true.
Can't take my eyes off you.
You'd be like heaven to touch.
I wanna hold you so much.
At long last love has arrived.
And I thank God I'm alive.
You're just too good to be true.
Can't take my eyes off you.

Pardon the way that I stare,
There's nothing else to compare,
The sight of you leaves me weak,
There are no words left to speak,
But if you feel like I feel,
Please let me know that it's real,
You're just too good to be true,
Can't take my eyes off you,

I love you baby. And if its quite alright,
I need you baby to warm my lonely nights,
I love you baby. Trust in me when I say,
Oh pretty baby, don't let me down I pray,
Oh pretty baby, now that I found you, stay,
And let me love you, baby
Let me love you baby
Let me love you.



Sunday in the Park with George         Top         Mamma Mia!