Broadway Musical: The Phantom of the Opera


Sarah Brightman
The Phantom of the Opera is a musical by Andrew Lloyd Webber, based on the novel by French novelist Gaston Leroux. The music was composed by Lloyd Webber, with lyrics by Charles Hart and additional lyrics by Richard Stilgoe directed by Hal Prince, choreographed by Gillian Lynne, lighting by Andrew Bridge and designed by Maria Bjornson.

The musical focuses on a beautiful singer, Christine Daaé, who becomes the obsession of a mysterious, disfigured musical genius known as "The Phantom of the Opera," who terrorizes the Paris Opera House.
Inspired by an earlier musical version of the same story by Ken Hill, "Phantom" opened at Her Majesty's Theatre in London on October 9, 1986, where it is still playing and celebrated its 21st anniversary on 9 October 2007. The production celebrated its 9,000th performance on 31 May 2008. The original cast included Michael Crawford (the Phantom), Sarah Brightman (see photo; Christine), and Steve Barton (Raoul), all of whom reprised their roles in the Broadway production at the Majestic Theatre. It is now the second-longest-running West End musical of all time, behind Les Miserables, and the longest-running Broadway musical of all time, breaking the record held by Lloyd Webber's Cats on January 9, 2006 with its 7,486th performance.

Major characters
The Phantom of the Opera (tenor/baritone) — Facially deformed since birth, the Phantom is a genius composer and musician who hides behind a white mask and is known to the managers and actors as the "Opera Ghost." It is known from the list of Dramatis personæ that his name is Erik.

Christine Daaé (soprano) — A Swedish chorus girl at the Opéra Populaire, and the daughter of a prominent violinist. Although talented, she lacks focus until the Phantom takes her under his wing and teaches her to sing.

Raoul, Vicomte de Chagny (baritone/tenor) — The patron of the Opéra Populaire and a childhood sweetheart of Christine's, they meet again after he recognizes her singing at the Opéra.

The Phantom of the Opera - Michael Crawford and Sarah Brightman


Lyrics: The Phantom of the Opera

In sleep he sang to me
In dreams he came
That voice which calls to me
And speaks my name
And do I dream again
For now I find
The phantom of the opera is there
Inside my mind

Sing once again with me
Our strange duet
My power over you
Grows stronger yet
And though you turn from me
To glance behind
The phantom of the opera is there
Inside your mind

Those who have seen your face
Draw back in fear
I am the mask you wear

It's me they hear
Your spirit and my voice in one combined
My spirit and your voice in one combined

The phantom of the opera is there
Inside my mind

In all your fantasy
You always knew
That man and mystery
Were both in you

And in this labyrinth
Were night is blind
The phantom of the opera is there
Inside my mind

Sing! My angel of music
He's there
The phantom of the opera

Sing...
Sing for me...
Sing, my angel of music!
Sing for me!



[title of show]         Top         Cry-Baby