Broadway Musical: South Pacific


South Pacific is a musical, with music by Richard Rodgers, lyrics by Oscar Hammerstein II, and book by both Hammerstein and Joshua Logan. The story is based on two short stories by James A. Michener from his Pulitzer Prize-winning 1948 book, Tales of the South Pacific. The musical won the Pulitzer Prize for Drama in 1950. The issue of racial prejudice was sensitively and candidly explored, particularly for a 1949 stage work.

South Pacific is generally considered to be one of the greatest musicals in history. Several of its songs, including "Bali Ha'i," "Some Enchanted Evening," "Younger than Springtime," and "A Wonderful Guy" have become worldwide standards. The Broadway production of South Pacific was nominated for ten Tony Awards and won all of them, including Best Musical, Best Score and Best Libretto. It was the only musical production ever to win all four Tony Awards for acting. The show was a critical and box office hit, and the musical has since enjoyed many successful revivals and tours and spawned a 1958 film and other adaptations.

2008 Broadway revival
Drama Desk Award
Outstanding Revival of a Musical (nominee)
Outstanding Actor in a Musical (Paulo Szot) (nominee)
Outstanding Actress in a Musical (Kelli O'Hara) (nominee)
Outstanding Featured Actor in a Musical (Danny Burstein) (nominee)
Outstanding Lighting Design (Donald Holder) (nominee)
Outstanding Sound Design (Scott Lehrer) (nominee)
Outstanding Set Design of a Musical (Michael Yeargan) (nominee)
Outstanding Director of a Musical (Bartlett Sher) (nominee)


"A Wonderful Guy" sung by Mitzi Gaynor




"Bali Hai" sung by Juanita Hall


Lyrics: Bali Hai

Most people live on a lonely island,
Lost in the middle of a foggy sea.
Most people long for another island,
One where they know they will like to be.

Bali Ha'i may call you,
Any night, any day,
In your heart, you'll hear it call you:
'Come away...Come away.'

Bali Ha'i will whisper
On the wind of the sea:
'Here am I, your special island!
Come to me, come to me!'

Your own special hopes,
Your own special dreams,
Bloom on the hillside
And shine in the streams.
If you try, you'll find me
Where the sky meets the sea.

'Here am I your special island
Come to me, Come to me.'
Bali Ha'i,
Bali Ha'i,
Bali Ha'i!

Someday you'll see me floating in the sunshine,
My head sticking out from a loaf nighing cloud,
You'll hear me call you,
Singing through the sunshine,
Sweet and clear as can be:
'Come to me, here am I, come to me.'

If you try, you'll find me
Where the sky meets the sea.
'Here am I your special island
Come to me, Come to me.'
Bali Ha'i,
Bali Ha'i,
Bali Ha'i!




Passing Strange         Top         The Country Girl