Washington State Song


"Washington, My Home" is the state song of Washington, in the United States. Written by Helen Davis and arranged by Stuart Churchill, it was adopted on March 19, 1959. In April, 2002, the state song was performed at the state Capitol by the Tumwater Girls' Choir, under the direction of Jack Arend, choir director.

There is a popular myth in Washington that the state song is actually "Louie, Louie" by The Kingsmen. There was an effort to change the state song to "Louie, Louie" in the 1980s; however, the measure ultimately failed to pass.

(Listen to the song)

Lyrics

This is my country; God gave it to me;
I will protect it, ever keep it free.
Small towns and cities rest here in the sun,
Filled with our laughter, "Thy will be done."

Washington my home;
Where ever I may roam;
This is my land, my native land,
Washington, my home.
Our verdant forest green,
Caressed by silvery stream;
From mountain peak to fields of wheat.
Washington, my home.

There's peace you feel and understand
In this, our own beloved land.
We greet the day with head held high,
And forward ever is our cry.
We'll happy ever be
As people always free.
For you and me a destiny;
Washington my home.




Prev         Top         Next